Home Educator Days - we've got your back when it comes to science!
Are you ready to explore science, engineering and space? Get hands-on with fun interactive exhibits. Play the huge 10-metre long guitar. Learn some British Sign Language. Delve into the mysteries of space flight. And so much more.
For even more wow, our Home Educator Day includes a live Planetarium show for everyone to enjoy. Fly through the stars in an unforgettable space adventure! And you get to choose either a science show or science workshop. So whether you want oohs and aahs from big science demos or to get stuck in with an awesome workshop we've got it covered.
Your Home Educator Day itinerary includes:
- 10.30am - time to explore the two floors of interactive exhibits
- 11.30am - blast off into space in your live Planetarium show
- 12.30pm - time to munch your picnic lunch
- 1pm - time for your science show or science workshop
- 2pm - home time!
Know before you go
- Everyone who attends needs a ticket, including accompanying adults and siblings.
- Children under 3 years old are free. But if you want them to participate in the workshop or have their own seat in the planetarium, you'll need to purchase a child ticket.
- SEND school groups will be visiting at the same time.
- All children attending the event must be supervised and accompanied by their grown-ups at all times.
All our exhibits are interactive. That means you can enjoy them using your senses. Touch them, watch them, hear them. The exhibits are low down so everyone can reach them.
Planetarium shows can be unusual and exciting experiences. All our shows are relaxed and fun with calm presentations. If you want to call out, ask questions or swap ideas about what you can see, go right ahead. It's not super dark and you can move around, go out and come back in if you like. If you have a wheelchair, we have spaces for you to sit with seats for your friends. The stairs have lights to make them easy to see.
If you or your child has SEND needs, we can help create a really magical experience. Just talk to our accessibility team – we're here to help.
Turn your village hall into a space portal with our inflatable Mobile Planetarium. We can bring the immersive 360° space experience of the Science Centre Planetarium to you. The state-of-the-art digital Mobile Planetarium comes with an astronomy expert. They'll present live planetarium shows, play 360° fulldome films and answer questions. The planetarium can welcome up to 40 children, including wheelchair users.
Did you know that we have digital activities available to download for use at home. Take on a Curiosity Challenge. Get up and moving with some Active Science. Or follow the step-by-step video instructions from one of our expert science communicators in a Let’s Try It experiment. Explore the learning hub on our website for activities that everyone can get involved with.