Friday 21st July to Monday 4th September
Get summer started with a bang at Winchester Science Centre’s Fiesta between Saturday 8th July and Monday 4th September, including every day in the school holidays. As well as all the usual excitement, families will be able to enjoy festival tents, mini stages and live science outside in the stunning landscape of the South Downs National Park. And it’s all included free with admission!
Fiesta - Mini outdoor festival
Adventure outside for a mini children’s festival of curiosity. Head to the South Downs Lawn and settle-in for nature-themed tales and role play in the Storytelling tent. And why not join the Inspirers for some show-and-tell on the Wonderseekers mini-stage. Children can discover the secrets of our natural world.
In the Bio:Space garden take part in the Music Makers tent by building a sound maker and replicating the beautiful noises of nature. Next to the Music Makers tent is the Star mini stage. Children can become the stars by performing with their hand-made music makers.
Boom, Bang, Fizz – the science of fireworks
There’s a fiesta of fireworks in the Science Theatre! This brand new free live show will delve into the science behind the ooh’s, aah’s and wow’s of a firework display. Dazzling demos will bring this topic to life in an exciting 20-minute show. Don’t miss the explosive finale!
This summer sees the return of the much-loved Solar System Adventure presenter-led live show. Families will blast off on a journey around the planets and stars of our Solar System. Or why not adventure to find out if we are all made of stars in the subtitled film show We Are Stars, narrated by Andy Serkis. The colourful characters of this show are perfect for a younger audience.
Please note, the Planetarium has an additional £4 charge per person (under 3s are free).
And so much more…
Don’t forget all the other hands-on fun! Discover more about sound, hearing and vibration on the upper floor. Climb inside a giant guitar. Explore the acoustic rocket. And even learn some British Sign Language. On the lower floor families can discover more about what it’s like to live and work in space in the interactive space zone, Explorer:Space.
Daytime seasons still to come:
- Get summer started with a bang at Fiesta (8th July to 3rd September).
- Enjoy trick or treats at Science Spooktacular (7th to 30th October).
- Experience the sights and sounds of Christmas past with the return of the hugely popular Science Dino-mite (2nd December to 7th January)
- Head outside with an astronomy expert and discover the stars at Night Sky Live.
- Experience a unique movie night under the stars of the Planetarium at Starlight Cinema.
- Why should the kids have all the fun? Live science and live music at the adults only Science Lates.
- Are you curious about the world of science? Science Explained might just have the answer!
Around the Science Centre
As well as an explosive free science show and spectacular Planetarium shows, don't miss out on all this:
- Discover the minibeasts and bugs of the South Downs National Park both inside and outside in our Bio:Space nature discovery area
- Eat a picnic outside in the sunshine
- Follow the spotters trail to the Butterfly Conservation reserve
- Be wowed by massive immersive exhibits, including a 10-metre giant playable guitar
- Get hands-on with out-of-this-world hands-on exhibits in Explorer:Space
- Watch epic live demos in Science Live