Winchester Science Centre Privacy Notice
We understand that privacy and the security of your personal information is extremely important. Because of that, this policy sets out what we do with your information and what we do to keep it secure. It also explains where and how we collect your personal information, as well as your rights over any personal information we hold about you.
We may change this Policy from time to time so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you’re happy with any changes. By using our website, you’re agreeing to be bound by this Policy.
Who are we?
Winchester Science Centre (WSC) is the only science and discovery centre in the central South of England and one of the largest in the country, with a strategic vision of sparking curiosity and a mission to build science capital for all.
The independent educational charity was founded in 1985 as INTECH in response to the local shortage of scientists, engineers and technicians. Starting in a disused school canteen, the charity has grown dramatically, moving to its present award-winning building in the South Downs National Park in 2002. WSC is now a regional leader in science communication, welcoming over 180,000 visitors annually including over 40,000 school children and engaging more than 30,000 people through outreach. WSC boasts the UK's largest capacity stand-alone planetarium, a large hands-on exhibition, an education programme for schools, informal learning activities for families and community groups and coordinates activities of over 4,000 STEM Ambassadors in the region.
WSC is an educational charity (no.294582) and a limited company (no. 2014929). WSC also incorporates Sparking Curiosity Limited which handles our commercial activities (i.e. café and shop) and STEM NOW which supports 4000 volunteers across the South of England.
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information about you when you use our website, for example, when you buy goods and services online, contact us about products and services, make a donation or if you register to receive one of our newsletters.
What sort of information do we hold?
- Information that you provide to us such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, email address, IP address, bank account and payment card details and any feedback you give to us, including by phone, email, post, or when you communicate with us via social media;
- Information about the Services that we provide to you (including for example, the things we have provided to you, when and where, what you paid, the way you use our products and Services, and so on);
- Your contact details and details of the emails and other electronic communications you receive from us, including whether that communication has been opened and if you have clicked on any links within that communication. We want to make sure that our communications are useful for you, so if you don’t open them or don’t click on any links in them, we know we need to improve our Services.
- If you make an online purchase from us, your card information is not held by us, it is collected by our third party payment processors, who specialise in the secure online capture and processing of credit/debit card transactions, as explained below.
How do we use your information?
- The information we collect may be used to:
- Make available our Services to you;
- Process your orders;
- Take payment from you or give you a refund;
- To aid our understanding of how our website is being used and how we can improve it. This process is conducted using aggregated data, and cannot be used to identify any specific individual's data.
- Help us ensure that our customers are genuine and to prevent fraud
- To help us understand more about you as a customer through statistical analysis. This process is conducted using aggregated data, and cannot be used to identify any specific individual's data.
- Contact you about products and services from us and other companies.
- Provide for the safety and security of our colleagues and customers
- Help answer your questions and solve any issues you have.
International transfers of your information
Keeping you informed about our products and services
We would like to tell you what is going on and about future events at Winchester Science Centre that we think you might be interested in. Where you have consented to us doing so, we may do this through the post, by email, online, using social media or other electronic means.
We won't send you marketing messages if you tell us not to but we will still need to send you occasional service-related messages. If you would prefer not to receive these messages please unsubscribe via any of our Mailchimp e-newsletters or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access and correction of your personal information
You have the right to access the personal information that we hold about you in many circumstances. This is sometimes called a ‘Subject Access Request’. If we agree that we are obliged to provide personal information to you (or someone else on your behalf), we will provide it to you or them free of charge.
Before providing personal information to you or another person on your behalf, we may ask for proof of identity and sufficient information about your interactions with us that we can locate your personal information.
If any of the personal information we hold about you is inaccurate or out of date, you may ask us to correct it.
If you would like to exercise these rights, please contact us as set out below.
Right to stop or limit our processing of your data
You have the right to object to us processing your personal information if we are not entitled to use it any more, to have your information deleted if we are keeping it too long or have its processing restricted in certain circumstances.
If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us as set out below.
How long do we keep your information for?
We review our retention periods for personal information on a regular basis. We are legally required to hold some types of information to fulfil our statutory obligations (i.e. the collection of Gift Aid). We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as long as is set out in any relevant contract you hold with us.
Who has access to your information?
Third Party Service Providers working on our behalf: We may pass your information to our third party service providers, agents subcontractors and other associated organisations for the purposes of completing tasks and providing services to you on our behalf (for example to process payments and send you mailings). However, when we use third party service providers, we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure and not to use it for their own direct marketing purposes.
We will never share your information with third parties, unless you give us specific approval to do so, or we are required to do so by any relevant legislation.
Sharing your thoughts
When using one of our websites or mobile applications, you may be able to share information through social networks like Facebook and Twitter. For example when you ‘like’, ‘share’ or review our Services. When doing this your personal information may be visible to the providers of those social networks, their other users and/or Winchester Science Centre. Please remember it is your responsibility to set appropriate privacy settings on your social network accounts so you are comfortable with how your information is used and shared on them.
If you would like to exercise one of your rights as set out above, or you have a question or a complaint about this policy, the way your personal information is processed, please contact us by one of the following means:
By email: email@example.com
By post: Director of Operations (Data Controller), Winchester Science Centre, Telegraph Way, Winchester, SO21 1HZ
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK regulator, the Information Commissioner. Go to www.ico.org.uk/concerns to find out more.