Summer Holiday Activities: Magnificent Minibeasts!
Soak up a summer of nature-based activities throughout the Centre and surrounding outdoor spaces.
Every day throughout the summer, visitors can drop in to these special activities at no extra cost:
- Get up close and personal with magnificent minibeasts from around the world. This is a drop-in session in the marquee available throughout the day. We recommend that under 12s have direct adult supervision and under 16s have parental consent. This activity is kindly supported by Beale Park, Reading.
- The Invention Studio will be having a full Summer make-over
- Investigate the features and secret beauty of minibeasts under powerful microscopes
- Try your hand at the Great Grain Game, looking at some of our most important grains and what everyday items they can be found in (kindly supported by Sparsholt College)
- Experiment with coding robotic combine harvesters and investigate the potential future of farming.
- Pop-up busking activities teaching basic veterinary skills (bandaging, pulse checking and tick removal) and showcasing a selection of skulls from livestock to discuss diet and feed (Kindly supported by the University of Surrey) will be available at certain times throughout the day.
- Pick up a free spotters trail to explore Magdalen Hill Down, the adjacent Butterfly Conservation reserve and enjoy views across the South Downs National Park.
This summer, enjoy an extended programme of live, presenter-led shows and 360° fulldome films.
10.40am - Little Stars (chatterbox show*, live, best for under 5yr)
11.20am - Astronaut (chatterbox show*, film, good for mixed ages)
12.10pm - The Planet Show (live, best for 8yr+, minimum 4yrs)
1.00pm - The Life of Trees (chatterbox show*, film, best for under 8yr)
1.50pm - We are Aliens (film, best for 8yr+)
2.40pm - The Planet Show (live, best for 8yr+, minimum 4yrs)
3.30pm - Astronaut (chatterbox show*, film, good for mixed ages)
4.10pm - Natural Selection (film, best for 11yr+ and adults)
Planetarium shows are ticketed and are not included in General Admission. Savings are available for those who book General Admission and Planetarium tickets in the same transaction and for annual pass holders.
*Chatterbox shows allow talking during the presentation, ideal for younger children and for those for whom listening quietly isn't possible. For all other shows we ask that the audience remain silent so that the show experience is at its best for all.
The Hub Café
The onsite café stocks a range of hot and cold lunch and snacks including jacket potatoes, paninis, sandwiches, cakes, fruit and snacks and fresh coffee, speciality teas, cold drinks and ice creams.
Picnic tables are available indoors and in the outside picnic and play area. Seating in the café is reserved for those purchasing food and drink onsite.
How to book
Summer holiday activities (excluding planetarium shows) are free of charge for Annual Pass holders and included in General Admission tickets. Buy tickets online in advance and save 10%. Further savings available when you book three tickets or more.
Winchester Science Centre looks forward to welcoming you for a visit this summer.