Health & Safety
Teachers are expected to ensure that their groups are well supervised and do not disadvantage other groups or the visiting public. Winchester Science Centre reserves the right to refuse entry or to curtail a group’s visit if their behaviour causes offence or has safety implications.
- Buses should arrive at the schools entrance.
- Science Centre staff will meet and direct the group to a base area inside the building.
- The group leader must confirm final numbers (adults and children) on arrival.
- Groups will be given a short briefing about Winchester Science Centre and safety issues.
- Winchester Science Centre has produced an outline Risk Assessment and Management Record to assist schools in risk assessment, but a pre-visit is highly recommended.
- Pupils must be supervised at all times, including during workshops and shows. The centre recommends a generous adult/pupil ratio of 1:6 for Reception and KS1-KS2, and 1:10 for KS3-KS4. These recommended ratios are in place to enable pupils to focus on the full opportunities they can gain from a visit.
- The Science Centre has a technical team with 20 years' experience, which designs, builds and maintains exhibits to the highest standards of safety. Full risk assessment is undertaken for all new exhibits and annually for existing ones. The exhibition is checked repeatedly throughout the day and any hazards detected are rectified or isolated immediately.
- If a Hampshire, Portsmouth or Southampton LEA school, please refer to Hampshire County Council regulations and guidance
- Other schools, please refer to DfEE Health and safety: advice for schools
Fire and evacuation
- A fire alarm will sound.
- Staff will direct visitors to the nearest fire exit.
- The assembly point is in the car park where teachers should take the register and report any absentees to Winchester Science Centre staff.
- Please do not use the lift.
Winchester Science Centre has a fully equipped first aid room and members of staff trained to provide first aid treatment.
Winchester Science Centre recommends teachers visit prior to the school visit. Once a month, the centre is open from 4.00pm for Teacher Preview Evenings and other times for visits can be arranged by appointment.