Access & Special Needs
Winchester Science Centre is committed to ensuring the Hands-on Exhibition, Planetarium and activities are as accessible as possible to our visitors. The Science Centre is happy to discuss any special education needs or requirements that students have and how best the Science Centre can cater for them.
The Education Team at the Science Centre are experienced at working with students with a range of special needs. The team would be happy to discuss any special requirements with you to make your visit enjoyable and stress-free!
The following facilities and resources are available:
- Wheelchair access at both entrances and throughout the buildings
- Wheelchair accessible toilets with shower (no hoist nor changing table)
- Free parking with level access
- Roll-on roll-off lift between floors
- Induction loop in the planetarium (please ask if using)
- Large print format worksheets (available by advance request)
- Wheelchair access (six designed spaces and the possibility to fit in more).
- Astronaut, We are Astronomers and Cell! Cell! Cell! contain flashing segments.
- All shows contain large moving images which may be of concern for some forms of photosensitive epilepsy and/or disorienting for those with balance disorders.
- Signers can be accommodated for group bookings; please ask in advance if this is required.
- Scripts are not usually available but please ask if this would be of interest.
If your students are unable to visit Winchester Science Centre, why not let the Science Centre come to your school? Outreach workshops are fully accessible and can also be adapted to meet the needs of students. The Sounds Interesting workshop has been developed particularly for students with special needs.